We've decided to launch a new Beyond Barbie in 2014. We have great momentum for it so far! Our topics are wide-ranging, diverse, and potentially controversial, but that's what makes this series so fantastic - we can broach difficult topics in ways that bridge gaps, increase understanding, educate, and create empathy.
If you're interested in taking part and/or want more detailed information about the first meeting, contact me and I'll send you the document.
Intention of Beyond Barbie
- We are a group of women who've decided to let our lights shine. We
want to inspire, empower, educate, and entertain the community and help
other women access their own power so they can move out and change the
world for the better too!
Next meeting: Fri, Dec 13th, 6:30 PM. Send me a message and I'll let you know where it'll be.
Potential topics for the evenings and who's agreed to lead that evening:1. The Gifts of Age/golden Girls/Celebrating the Crone - we need a leader. Contact me if you're interested in leading or taking part.
2. Women in the Ministry/Women in the Pulpit/Women and Religion/Women and Spirituality - Denise Bennett will be in charge. Contact her to take part, with ideas, to learn more.
3. The Importance of Self Care and how hard it is to do and why - we may have a leader, but I'm not sure. If you're interested, contact me. And please, someone, come up with a better title than I did!!
4. The Big O/Sex/Sensuality - Dawn Flores will take this one on. Shelli Jost Brady will assist. But I'm sure they're willing to share the fun - contact Dawn to sign up!
Powerful Women of Color/The Experience of Being Black in RVA/ Pairing
Youth from the Projects with Successful Women of Color - we need a leader for this evening. Contact me if you're interested in leading or in taking part.
6. Women and Music - Sylvia DeVoss is leading this evening, and boy! is she on fire with ideas! She's already contacted many musicians to get them on board. Amazing! Contact her to join the fun!
in Politics/Women and Power/Getting involved in Politics - how do I do
it? Why would I?/ The Great Divide - how can we bridge it?
- we don't have anyone committed to take this on yet. Please get in
touch with me if you're interested in leading or participating.
8. The ERA - why hasn't it passed yet? Why should it?
- Eileen Davis will make sure this evening happens, though she needs
someone to do lots of the legwork. She'll provide ideas, speakers, etc,
but doesn't have time to pull it all together. Please contact her to
take part/ lead.
evenings are not set in stone, especially not the ones that don't have
leaders yet. If you have an idea you want to see happen, this is the
time to get in touch, to come to the meeting, to put your passion
forward and let us know what you want to present. If you want to take
part in one of the evenings, if you want to perform, if you want to help
with logistics, or if you don't know what you want to do and want to
hang out with amazing women doing amazing things, come join us! All are
welcome. We'll find a place for you no problem!
let me know if you have any questions or want to join the fun!
See you soon, I hope! (Remember to RSVP if you can come to the meeting!)