Monday, March 26, 2012

Call for Models for painting about vaginal probes

Call for models:
In Quaker Meeting this morning, I got a vision of a painting I am feeling compelled to do.  It is a wide open crotch shot of a woman being given a vaginal probe ultrasound by the State against her will.  It will not be an easy painting to look at.

I need a woman of child-bearing years and a middle aged man who will hold the probe to pose for me.  I also need to borrow said probe.  The woman's face (in distress) will be visible as will her vaginal region.  The man's face will not show.  I will take photographs and will paint from them.  It will be large (probably about 48" wide - life size).  I can photograph the man and woman separately so that he is not truly doing her harm or causing her distress.  I don't want to ask anyone to experience that, but I do want to indicate the horror of an unwanted probe being inserted into ones vagina.

If you are interested in posing for me, please contact me to let me know.

I am fiercely opposed to the bills the legislatures in our States have been passing this year, and I want to do what I can to express my opposition.  As a visual artist, one of my tools is my art.  I hope that seeing a graphic image of a woman getting this ultrasound will stick with people and will give the legislators pause and will help them consider their vote more carefully.  I hope it will also outrage people enough to make them do something about these egregious laws.  Images have power, as do words, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

It's time for images.

No comments:

Post a Comment