Sunday, August 14, 2011

Vagina Envy?

My  mother asked me yesterday if people today all talk about "that stuff" so much.  She meant vaginas.  I didn't know what to say.  She told me that her mother, with a scowl looking down her nose, said that to speak of such things was "common".  I would hazard a guess that my mother thinks so too.  But would rather not think so.

I don't know what's wrong with talking about vaginas except that it feels kind of risque.  And maybe almost tawdry.  And a little bit unsafe.  Like maybe someone will fuss at me.  Maybe my mother.  Or grandmother.

Yep, vaginas are common.  Half the world has one.  That's pretty common - three and a half billion of them on this planet.  Yep, that's common.

So why the discomfort talking about them?  Because they can bring so much pleasure?  Or cause so much pain?  Did Freud ever mention vagina envy?  I really don't think so.  Maybe that's the power that moves the world these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment