Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Classical Beauty

It's been tough getting into the studio lately because I've been so darned busy, but last week I got to paint after my jury duty was over on Monday.  I began work on a new piece from a photo taken of a new model.  This woman has been quite athletic all her life, I believe, and she has a classically shaped body, which is why I call the painting of her Classical Beauty.

I painted the picture using the medium Galkyd and the techniques which Rob VanderZee taught me about.  I grid the painting the way I normally do, but then I laid in the first layer with less precision, blending the boundaries between body and background. 

 Then I worked with some complementary colors to make the colors richer and more luscious.
  After toning everything down, I brought it back up by using opaque colors on the highlights where it's especially light.  I'm really enjoying the glow of her skin and the soft roundness all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment