Thursday, March 4, 2010

Light and Shadow, a new piece

Yesterday I felt so full of passion to be painting!  I decided to start on a new painting because I needed to be working big and crude, not detailed and fine like is necessary for the stage I'm on with Mother and Daughter Jocks.  Luckily I had already drawn this image on the canvas so I was ready to apply paint - just what I wanted to do!  I had to mix the paint first, so that took a while, but after that, I went to it!  It was very difficult to break away for work at noon.  I'm excited to have some time today to continue working.  My favorite thing about this piece besides the dynamic composition is the light and shadow.  It's very dramatic.  When I took this picture, the model was having a great time dancing and was loving her body so well.  It was a delight to photograph her in her fully aware enjoyment of her self.
I look forward to getting more of it done today before I have to move on to more mundane chores like talking to an accountant and packing for vacation.  Yes!  Vacation!  We leave Saturday for the Outer Banks for a week.  I absolutely love it there!  I am taking my oil paints and hope to paint the ocean while I'm there.  I've only ever done it in pastels before, so I'm excited to see how that goes.  Expect some new posts around the 14th with sea scapes on it.  Or not - I never know what I'll do on vacation.  Sometimes it's nothing.  Sometimes it's a whole new direction for my work.  But the best part is that I always come back refreshed and excited and renewed.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!


1 comment:

  1. Love the new composition! So much energy. Enjoy the ocean...ahhhh is right.

    ReplyDelete