Friday, November 13, 2009

Flinging the Red Scarf, Day 2

I have to go to work today to tutor - quite an unusual thing for me to do on Friday, but since I took Tuesday off to celebrate my birthday, I'll be working today.  But I couldn't bear the thought of giving up a whole studio day, so I managed to get out here early this morning.  I re-worked the background to maket he colors work better then spent the rest oft he time working on the scarf.  Clearly this piece is mostly about the scarf, so it's got to be good!
When painting this morning, I was astonished to find out just how huge a difference the different kind of brushes can make!  I began working with a large Isabey hogs hair bristle brush. I used it to apply the background.  It was perfect for the large strokes as well as for getting doing some detail work since its edge is sharp.  I used it to apply the first layer of paint to the scarf as well.  Then I had details I needed to get to so I started using a Taklon brush from Utrechts.  It was so smooth!  It allowed me to smear on just the right amount of paint and to blend it perfectly.  It gave me so much more control and ability to get the paint to do just what I wanted it to do.  It was wonderful to have the right tool for the right job!

Sunday I hope to get time to paint the body!

This afternoon I'll be taking a couple of pieces to Crossroads Art Center here in Richmond to enter them for their monthly show.  I'll be showing Woman in a Chair and perhaps Beauty with a Veil. I haven't decided on the second one yet, but I'd better figure it out soon!  I have to be at work in 35 minutes and have to change clothes, eat, pack the paintings, and get there!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment